Weconomics is a network organization with:
- Weconomics partners
- Weconomics Foundation as a commonality (shared staff and management)
- Weconomics intellectual legacy: model, infrastructure and transition program
Being a partner you can use the Weconomics label, library, network etc. to provide training, project support or advice services for example. As a partner you will not be employed by Weconomics, you will retain your status as a self-employed person or will remain in function of your company.
What our focus is
Combining new organization models with disruptive organization technologies to create surplus to organize a more sustainable prosperity.
What we believe
Weconomics partners believe that we as humans are capable of organizing a more sustainable prosperity. The prosperity that we now ‘consume’ (especially in the West) is not ‘produced’ in a sustainable way. This is evident, for example, from the rapidly rising debt burden, climate refugees, attacks on our democracy, unequal distribution of work, income and capital, scarce raw materials, including fossil fuels and global warming, and information overload in combination with the scarcity of trust & human attention. These, for the human race potentially disruptive developments, are related to each other and are summarized as a (non sustainable) welfare problem. Our vision: improving productivity with organization technology and the smart use of the surplus time that this creates, will make an important contribution to the sustainability of our prosperity.
How we are organized
The Weconomics Foundation (WECONOMICS) is the fiscal legal entity for the preservation and further development of the Weconomics mental legacy, body of thought or philosophy. This philosophy consists of a model, infrastructure and program:
- Organization model (Nomad): Weconomics goes back to the smallest building blocks and organizing principles (‘peel the onion’). An important principle for organizing work and trust is: specialization, coordination and finalization. After applying this principle you look at the best form to coordinate. That can be a hierarchy, a market but also a more hybrid form such as shared information and transaction networks.
- Infrastructure (WECONET): The Weconomics infrastructure ensures that data workers can work together smartly, without high transaction costs or barriers between functions and companies. Important starting points for this infrastructure are: data sovereignty (you own your own data) and design organizations from the smallest parts: people and resources, supply and demand.
- Program (Apollo): The Weconomics program facilitates the transition from classical organization to Weconomics, from the industrial age to the digital age and from ‘company-organizing’ to ‘community-organizing’. We do this, for example, by consultancy, training & coaching, supporting projects and organizing events. The Weconomics program also consists of a number of books, articles and whitepapers.
Weconomics and Tetra Politica
Tetra Politica is an expansion of Trias Politica, a well known governance model with separated powers or bodies that monitor each other’s functioning. Trias Politica has three separated powers or branches a: Legislature, Executive(s) and a Judiciary. Weconomics adds a fourth ‘power’ to Trias Politica because we value that we not only live in the ‘here and now’, but also in the ‘there and later’. So we add a fourth more time dimension to Trias Political, a body of thought, an organization that develops a consented shared values and a vision for the future where our children live:
- WECONOMICS (Weconomics Foundation, Valuator): This organ can be compared with (social, economic, ecologic and technical) councils that advise parliaments and governments and develops and monitors Weconomics core connections of a community from the demand side: values, purpose, principles, perspective, vision and ambition (demand side). This body also holds the majority of votes in key executors with a mandate of DEMOS.
- Demos (Weconomics Foundation, Legislature): This body can be compared in our constitutional state with a parlement or the House of Representatives in combination with referenda and approves (or not) the core connections developed and maintained by the Valuator, translates ambitions into execution and makes it possible (conditions) for partners and executors to act (coordination).
- WECONET (Weconet Technologies B.V. (among others), Executive) is a spin-off of the Weconomics Foundation and an executive organization with a number of special executive tasks, similar to ministries. An executive authority executes projects and services based on Weconomics core connections (Value, Purpose, Principle, Perspective, Vision and Ambition) and executes with the other core connections: governance, structure and culture (supply side).
- SOTIC (Sotic Foundation, Judiciary) is the controlling body, similar to the investigative and judiciary function in our constitutional state.
Weconomics and Quadruple Helix
Weconomics was founded in one of the world smartest regions: Brainport Eindhoven in the Netherlands where they already work with the Triple Helix model: interaction between education/research, private sector and governments. With Quadruple a fourth dimension is added: media and working together with society and in the case of Weconomics, also working together with ‘other societies and the future of our children’. The latter is abstract but working together with other societies and the future, places competition in the here and now in another perspective.
How the journey started?
The origin of Weconomics goes back to the late eighties when Weconomics founder Paul Bessems asked himself: “How is it possible that our work changes, from factory worker to information and service worker, but the way we organize work is not changing with it?” Later in the early nineties he started organizations such as Confluent Logistic Consultants, Buro Staff Support and later a community for HR products & services in the Netherlands. Most of these organizations originated in the Innovation Lab of Eindhoven University of Technology. From this the Sotic foundation was established in 2005 as the forerunner of the Weconomics Foundation.
Board of the Weconomics Foundation:
- Paul Bessems (chairmen)
- Leo Kemps (secretary and vice chairmen)
- Mary van Leeuwarden (treasurer)
- Ernst Steltenpöhl (chairman)
- Gert-Jan van Arnhem
- Hans Savelsberg
Partners are pioneers who use the Weconomics commonality to develop ideas into reality. For example, they provide training, advice or project support services, they support the Foundation with donations, volunteer work, board work or by giving us a podium.
The foundation offers a number of commonality services, partners can use:
- Apollo: Advanced Program on Leading and Learning Others
- Nomad: New Organization Models and Design
- WECONET: Peer-to-peer infrastructure for information & transactions
- Project: form idea to reality
- Symfin: financing projects and communities
- Ifnot: Institute For New Organizational Thinking