Weconomics is a network organization with:
- Weconomics partners
- Weconomics Foundation as a commonality (shared capabilities)
- Weconomics intellectual legacy: model, infrastructure and transition program
- Weconomics executor (Weconomics Solutions)
Being a partner you can use the Weconomics commonality (label, library, network etc.), to provide training, project support, software development or advice services for example. As a partner you will not be employed by Weconomics, you will retain your status as a self-employed person or will remain in function of your company.
Our mission: Work Less, Achieve More
More than 30% of all the work has to do with control. Bookkeepers check numbers, managers control processes, teachers and caretakers go crazy with all mandatory reports and we all receive more and more emails and information to which we have to respond. Automation has made checking easier, but it didn’t reduce complexity. All we do is creating a digital bureaucracy. Every time new compliance obligations nullify productivity and therefore prosperity growth and cause great annoyance in many jobs. The good news is that there is a solution. Because with modern organization technology it is possible to organize much office work, substantially more efficiently with much less waste. A 30-hour workweek is not an utopia, but becomes reality. This allows us to solve problems in care, education and safety. Responsible administrators, politicians, managers and professionals must be aware of this.
It is our mission to get the organization of a broader and more sustainable prosperity high on the political and business agenda, using lectures, articles, books, events, conferences and numerous training courses and then to help with step-by-step realization.
Our world is in a transition. The existing social-economic order no longer suffices. We just recovered from a bank, debt, euro and refugee crisis, and we are in the midst of the consequences of fake news, polarization, data breaches, Brexit and Trump. Most people think we recovered but the total debt burden has doubled since the beginning of this century. We live in a debt society. Billions are invested in the economy each month to create growth and inflation, and even this principle is no longer working well. In addition, inequality increases and we have a fundamental productivity problem because it doesn’t keep up with our prosperity consumption. Quantitative growth still seems to be the magic word, while that contributes to debts and overconsumption. We see problems in healthcare, education, security and democracy. The system squeaks and creaks on all sides. People long for an effective vision, a sustainable imagination that has the power to become a reality. Shortages in education, care and safety can hardly be solved with more money, but with more time and attention. A large majority will agree, but that does not mean that we as a society are already moving in that direction.
You can read more about this in the Weconomics books with more than 2500 pages of research, analyzes, concepts and practical examples. The transition to the new is mainly saying goodbye to the old and to look for new organizational forms, technologies and projects that contribute to a sustainable society. Sustainable prosperity is a prosperity that meets the needs of the present, without jeopardizing the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Weconomics brings new thinking, ideas, projects, movements and communities together and connects people and resources to goals.
Our vision: modern organization science and technology will reduce digital waste and will make office workers more productive that creates a surplus that can be used in domains where there is a deficit.
What our focus is
Combining new organization models with disruptive organization technologies to create effective surplus to organize a more sustainable prosperity. Weconomics facilitates partners in the dialogue around the question: ‘What is an effective use op the surplus time technology creates?’ In order to achieve a sustainable prosperity, Weconomics focuses primarily on the use of organizational technology to improve the 6Ps:
- Purpose: the purpose of work in relation to innovation
- Productivity: pay prosperity with productivity
- Privacy: new and strict European privacy legislation (GDPR)
- Power: more power to people, less to means such as companies & governments
- Propaganda: fewer fake news and news manipulation
- Processes: improve processes and transfer them to transaction networks
What we believe
Weconomics partners believe that we as humans are capable of organizing a broader and more sustainable prosperity. The prosperity that we now ‘consume’ (especially in the West) is not ‘produced’ in a sustainable way. This is evident, for example, from the rapidly rising debt burden, climate refugees, attacks on our democracy, unequal distribution of work, income and capital, scarce raw materials, including fossil fuels and global warming, and information overload in combination with the scarcity of trust & human attention. These developments are related to each other and are summarized as a (non sustainable) prosperity problem.
How we are organized
The Weconomics Foundation is the fiscal legal entity for the preservation and further development of the Weconomics body of thought or philosophy. This philosophy consists of a model, infrastructure and program:
- Organization model (Nomad): Weconomics goes back to the smallest building blocks and organizing principles (‘peel the onion’). An important principle for organizing work and trust is: specialization, coordination and finalization. After applying this principle you look at the best form to coordinate. That can be a hierarchy, a market but also a more hybrid form such as shared information and transaction networks.
- Infrastructure (Weconet): The Weconomics infrastructure ensures that data workers can work seamlessly and smartly together, without high transaction costs or barriers between functions and companies. Important starting points for this infrastructure are: data sovereignty (you own your own data) and design organizations from the smallest parts: people and resources, supply and demand.
- Program (Apollo): The Weconomics program facilitates the transition from more to a better prosperity, from classical to modern organization science, from the industrial age to the digital age and from ‘company-organizing’ to ‘community-organizing’. We do this, for example, by consultancy, training & coaching, supporting projects and organizing events. The Weconomics program also consists of a number of books, articles and whitepapers.
Weconomics and Tetra Politica
Tetra Politica is an expansion of Trias Politica, a well known governance model with separated powers or bodies that monitor each other’s functioning. Trias Politica has three separated powers or branches a: Legislature, Executive(s) and a Judiciary. Weconomics adds a fourth ‘power’ to Trias Politica because we value that we not only live in the ‘here and now’, but also in the ‘there and later’. So we add a fourth more time dimension to Trias Political, a body of thought, an organization that develops a consented shared values and a vision for the future where our children live:
- Weconomics Foundation (Preserver): This organ can be compared with (social, economic, ecologic and technical) councils that advise parliaments and governments and develops and monitors Weconomics core connections of a community from the demand side: values, purpose, principles, perspective, vision and ambition (demand side). This body also holds the majority of votes in the executor.
- Demos (Legislator): This body can be compared in our constitutional state with a parliament or the House of Representatives in combination with referenda and approves (or not) the core connections developed and maintained by the Preserver, translates ambitions into execution and makes it possible (conditions) for partners and executors to act (coordination).
- Weconomics Solutions (Executor) is the executive organization with a number of special executive tasks, similar to ministries. An executive authority executes projects and services based on Weconomics core connections (Value, Purpose, Principle, Perspective, Vision and Ambition) and executes with the other core connections: governance, structure and culture (supply-side).
- Sotic (Supervisor) is the controlling body, similar to the investigative and judiciary function in our constitutional state.
Weconomics and Quadruple Helix
Weconomics was founded in one of the world’s smartest regions: Brainport Eindhoven in the Netherlands where they already work with the Triple Helix model: interaction between education/research, private sector and governments. With Quadruple a fourth dimension is added: media and working together with society and in the case of Weconomics, also working together with ‘other societies and the future of our children’. The latter is abstract but working together with other societies and the future, places competition in the here and now in another perspective.
How the journey started?
The origin of Weconomics goes back to the late eighties when Weconomics founder Paul Bessems asked himself: “How is it possible that our work changes, from factory worker to information and service worker, but the way we organize work is not changing with it?” Later in the early nineties, he started organizations such as Confluent Logistic Consultants, Buro Staff Support and later a community for HR products & services in the Netherlands. Most of these organizations originated in the Innovation Lab of Eindhoven University of Technology. From this the Sotic foundation was established in 2005 as the forerunner of the Weconomics Foundation.
Board of the Weconomics Foundation:
- Paul Bessems (chairman)
- Leo Kemps (secretary and vice chairman)
- Mary van Leeuwarden (treasurer)
- Ernst Steltenpöhl (chairman)
- Gert-Jan van Arnhem
- Hans Savelsberg
Partners are pioneers who use the Weconomics commonality to develop ideas into reality. But they can also provide training, advice or project support services with the Weconomics brand or they support the Foundation with donations, lobbying, volunteer work or by giving us a podium.
Beside our organizing capabilities, the foundation offers a number of commonality services for partners:
- Apollo: Advanced Program on Leading and Learning Others
- Nomad: New Organization Models and Design
- Weconet: Peer-to-peer infrastructure for information & transactions
- Project: form idea to reality
- Symfin: financing projects and communities
- Ifnot: Institute For New Organizational Thinking