>> For an impression of our latest conference click here (Dutch only)
Weconomics is a network organization with:
- Weconomics Partners
- Weconomics Foundation as a commonality (shared capabilities) and intellectual legacy: operating model, infrastructure and transformation program
- Weconomics Executor (specific partner: Weconomics Solutions, trade name for Weconet Technologies BV, for innovation, exploitation and solutions)
Being a partner you can use the Weconomics commonality (label, library, network, brand etc.), to strengthen your startup or provide training, project support, software development or advice services for example. As a partner you will not be employed by Weconomics, you will retain your status as a self-employed person or will remain in function of your company.
Summary: the organization of the future… what does it need?
Weconomics is the composer, orchestrator and conductor of the transformation into the durable, digital and decentral future we need. We organize this future not with more economic growth but by reducing waste. We ‘finance’ this future not with more money but with more time, hidden in nonproductive office-work. We believe we can organize a sustainable prosperity and work from a holistic perspective and know that you can only heal a part by treating the whole. Weconomics is a ‘decentral organized initiative’ and home to hundreds of partners working together with the help of new operating models, modern organization science (Community Model Canvas) & data technology (blockchain based digital assembly line).
Nothing is less productive than to make more efficient what should not be done at all (Peter Drucker).
Weconomics is committed to transform professionals and organizations to be fit for the durable, digital and decentral future we need.
Believe: it is not the stars that shape our future, but our believe system
Weconomists believe that we as humans are capable of organizing a sustainable prosperity. The prosperity that we ‘consume’ now (especially in the West) is not ‘produced’ in a sustainable way, not by improving productivity but printing more money. This is evident, for example, from the impact of COVID-19, rapidly rising debt burden, climate refugees, attacks on our democracy, unequal distribution of work, income and capital, scarce raw materials, including fossil fuels and global warming, and information overload in combination with the scarcity of trust & human attention. These developments are related to each other and are summarized as a (non sustainable) prosperity problem.
Vision: the future we need is durable, digital and decentral
Our world is in transformation. The existing social-economic order no longer suffices. We just recovered from a bank-, debt-, euro- and refugee crisis, and we are in the midst of the consequences of fake news, censorship, polarization, politicization, data breaches, protectionism and a pandemic. The corona pandemic reveals what was already broken. Most people think we recovered but the total debt burden has doubled since the beginning of this century. We live in a debt society. Billions are invested in the economy each month to create growth and inflation, and even this principle is no longer working well. The value of houses or stocks does not increase, but the value of money decreases. In addition, inequality increases and we have a fundamental productivity problem because it doesn’t keep up with our prosperity consumption. Quantitative growth still seems to be the magic word, while that contributes to debts and overconsumption. We see problems in healthcare, education, security and democracy. The system squeaks and creaks on all sides. People long for an effective vision, a sustainable imagination that has the power to become a reality. Shortages in education, care and safety can hardly be solved with more money, but with more time and attention. A large majority will agree, but that does not mean that we as a society are already moving in that direction.
You can read more about this in the Weconomics books with more than 3.500 pages of research, analyzes, concepts and practical examples. The transformation to the new is mainly saying goodbye to the old and to look for new organizational forms, technologies and projects that contribute to a sustainable society. Sustainable prosperity is a prosperity that meets the needs of the present, without jeopardizing the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Weconomics brings new thinking, ideas, projects, movements and communities together and connects people and resources to goals.
Modern organization science and data technology will reduce (digital) waste and will make production factors, and our focus: office workers, more productive. This will create a surplus(time) that can be used in domains where there is a deficit.
Purpose: to organize a more sustainable prosperity
We see it as our job to organize a broader and more sustainable prosperity by developing and delivering instruments such as lectures, articles, books, events, conferences, courses and development programs, to help with step-by-step realization of this purpose and deserve more attention from political-, societal- and business organizations for our mission.
Mission: ‘Produce Less, Achieve More’
We estimate that more than 30% we produce is waste. Not only waste in food and cloths, but also in data centers, transport capacities for example and especially for Weconomics: redundant office-work. More specific: more than 30% of all the office work has to do with control. Bookkeepers check numbers, managers control processes, teachers and caretakers go crazy with all mandatory reports and we all receive more and more emails and information to which we have to respond. Automation has made checking easier, but it didn’t reduce complexity. All we do is creating a digital bureaucracy. Every time new compliance obligations nullify productivity and therefore prosperity growth and cause great annoyance in many jobs. The good news is that there is a solution. Because with modern organization technology it is possible to organize much office work, substantially more efficiently with much less waste.
Ambition: halving waste, especially office-work within one generation
Halving waste and office work within one generation is not an utopia, but becomes reality. This allows us to solve problems in care, climate-change, education, safety, democracy, circular economy and volunteer work. Responsible administrators, politicians, managers and professionals must be aware of this.
Strategy: use new operating models and data technology to create surplus
Organize a broader and sustainable prosperity with the help of new operating models, modern organization science and data technology. In our work we show in which social transformation we are and how data may play the most important role in this. The question that then remains is: how data-savvy are you?
Matters such as non-transparent algorithms, disinformation, abuse of data monitoring, profiling and data leaks show that data is not always organized securely and productively and used in the right way. A durable, digital and decentral society needs awareness and specific knowledge and skills and behavior, also known as data literacy or data wisdom.
It is important for everyone (people, organization and society) to have insight into what data are, how we can organize supply and demand of data in the best way and what the consequences are of the choices we make in this regard. Yet data wisdom still sounds like a distant show to many people. Butt imagine the ideal future by means of backcasting and go there step by step, SMART and with the help of instruments from the Weconomics transformation program.
The way we innovate: hybrid innovation
We believe in hybrid innovation with the multi-helix model where market, government, knowledge centers and society innovate en work together from the beginning of a project to exploitation and if effective also ending the organization. Hybrid innovation finds a new balance between: learning and working, innovation and exploitation, private and public, long term and short term, bottom up and top down, Greenfield and Brownfield. It omits the drawbacks and enhances the benefits. It doesn’t take incumbents as starting point but people, society and the future of our children.
Focus: focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new
Combining modern organization science with disruptive data technologies to create effective surplus by which we can organize a broader and more sustainable prosperity. Weconomics facilitates partners in the dialogue around the question: ‘What is an effective use of the surplus technology creates?’ In order to achieve a broader and sustainable prosperity, Weconomics focuses primarily on the use of organizational technology to improve the 6Ps:
- Purpose: the purpose of work in relation to innovation
- Productivity: pay prosperity with productivity
- Privacy: new and strict European privacy legislation (GDPR)
- Power: more power to people, less to means such as companies & governments
- Propaganda: fewer fake news and news manipulation
- Processes: improve processes and transfer them to transaction networks
Weconomics develops and delivers different instruments (advise services, workshops, training courses, education, masterclasses, talent programs, round-tables, software development, platforms, applications, case materials, simulation games, assessments, quickscan etc.) that will help you to transform into a durable, digital and decentral organization. We are particularly specialized in applying the Community Model Canvas and data-driven organizing with the digital assembly line and blockchain technology.
How we are organized
The Weconomics Foundation is the fiscal legal entity for the preservation and further development of our philosophy, ideas, intellectual legacy and the Weconomics school of thought. This school of thought consists of a operating model, infrastructure and program:
- Operating model (Nomad, New Operating Models & Design): Weconomics goes back to the smallest building blocks and organizing principles (‘peel the onion’). An important principle for organizing work and trust is: specialization, coordination and finalization. After applying this principle you look at the best form to coordinate. That can be a hierarchy, a market but also a more hybrid form such as shared information- and transaction networks or a blockchain based digital assembly line. We help you to develop your strategy, business- and operating model with modern organization science.
- Shared Infrastructure (Weconet, Weconomics network): The Weconomics infrastructure ensures that data workers can work seamlessly and smartly together, without high transaction costs or barriers between functions and companies. Important starting points for this infrastructure are: an ontology, semantology, taxonomy, data common, data sovereignty (you are owner of your own data) and design organizations from the smallest parts: people and resources, supply and demand.
- Transformation Program (Apollo, Advance Program on Learning & Leading Others): The Weconomics program facilitates the transformation from factory to data driven operating model, from the industrial age to the digital age and from ‘company-organizing’ to ‘community-organizing’. We do this, for example, by consultancy, training & coaching, supporting projects and organizing events. The Weconomics program also consists of a number of books, articles and whitepapers.
Weconomics and Tetra Politica
Tetra Politica is an expansion of Trias Politica, a well known governance operating model with separated powers or bodies that monitor each other’s functioning. Trias Politica has three separated powers or branches a: Legislature, Executive(s) and a Judiciary. Weconomics adds a fourth ‘power’ to Trias Politica because we value that we not only live in the ‘here and now’, but also in the ‘there and later’. An unsustainable society in the ‘here and now’ is also an unfair society for the ‘there and later’. So we add a fourth more time dimension to Trias Political, a body of thought, an organization that develops a consented shared values and a vision for the future where our children live:
- Weconomics Foundation (Preserver): This organ can be compared with (social, economic, ecologic and technical) councils that advise parliaments and governments and develops and monitors. This organ looks also beyond the ‘here and now’ into the ‘there and later’. Weconomics core connections of a community from the demand side: values, purpose, principles, perspective, vision and ambition (demand side). This body also holds the majority of votes in the executor.
- Demos (Legislator): This body can be compared in our constitutional state with a parliament or the House of Representatives in combination with referendums and approves (or not) the core connections developed and maintained by the Preserver, translates ambitions into execution and makes it possible (conditions) for partners and executors to act (coordination).
- Weconomics Solutions (Executor) is the executive organization or a group of organizations with a number of special executive tasks, similar to ministries. An executive authority executes projects and services based on Weconomics core connections (Value, Purpose, Principle, Pattern, Perspective, Vision and Ambition) and executes with the other core connections: governance, economics, structure and culture (supply-side).
- Sotic (Supervisor) is the controlling body, similar to the investigative and judiciary function in our constitutional state.
With this governance model we facilitate: steward owned organizations, platform cooperation’s and ecosystems.
Weconomics and Multi Helix
Weconomics was founded in one of the world’s smartest regions: Brainport Eindhoven in the Netherlands where they already work with the multi-helix model: interaction between education/research, private sector and governments. With the multi-helix concept: private, public and political spheres and people in the role of citizen, consumer, employee, entrepreneur, patient, student, etc., work together, not only in the ‘here and now’, but also in the ‘there and later’. The latter is abstract but working together with other societies and the future, places competition in the here and now in another perspective.
How the journey started?
The origin of Weconomics goes back to the late eighties when Weconomics founder Paul Bessems asked himself: “How is it possible that our work changes, from factory worker to information- and service worker, but the way we organize work is not changing with it?” Later in the early nineties, he started decentral organizations such as Confluent Logistic Consultants, Buro Staff Support and later a community for HR products & services. Most of these organizations originated in the Innovation Lab on Eindhoven University of Technology campus. From this the Sotic foundation was established in 2005 as the forerunner of the Weconomics Foundation (2010) and Weconomics Solutions (2017).
Board of the Weconomics Foundation:
- Paul Bessems (chairman)
- Leo Kemps (vice chairman)
- Mary van Leeuwarden (treasurer)
- Ernst Steltenpöhl (chairman)
- Gert-Jan van Arnhem
- Hans Savelsberg
- Albert Akkermans (vice chairman)
Partners are pioneers who use the Weconomics commonality to develop ideas into reality. But they can also provide training, advice or project support services with the Weconomics brand or they support the Foundation with donations, lobbying, volunteer work or by giving us a podium.
Beside our organizing capabilities, the foundation offers a number of commonality services for partners:
- Apollo: Advanced Program on Leading and Learning Others
- Nomad: New Organization Models and Design
- Weconet: Peer-to-peer infrastructure for information & transactions
- Project: form idea to reality
- Symfin: financing projects and communities
- Weconomics Knowledge Center
- Weconomics network
- Institute For New Organizational Thinking